From the author of Mr Chen’s Emporium comes a quirky and heartwarming tale about finding your true place in the world, set against the backdrop of a weekly trivia competition.
‘Trivia is a serious business, not a social occasion’ Kevin Dwyer, the ‘trivia man’
Dubbed ‘brainbox’ by his peers and ‘weirdo’ by his sister, Kevin Dwyer is a middle-aged forensic accountant who has never had a real friend, other than his eight-year-old nephew Patrick. When Kevin joins the Clifton Heights Sports Club trivia competition as a one-man team, and convincingly wins the first round, he is headhunted by the other contestants. But Kevin would prefer to be on his own. That is, until he meets Maggie Taylor . . .
Maggie is a Latin teacher and movie buff, who’s good at her job but unlucky in love. In fact, she’s still besotted with the man who dumped her years ago. Nagged by her friend Carole about getting out and meeting people, Maggie reluctantly joins the trivia team founded by Carole’s husband, Edward.
Over a season of trivia nights, Kevin, Maggie and her team will experience arguments and crises, friendships and romances, heartbreaks and new beginnings. And maybe, just maybe, Kevin will find his happy ever after . . .
(Bantam Australia, June 2015)
~ Read my review of The Trivia Man ~
Bookworld | Booktopia | Book Depository | Amazon | Kobobooks
Deborah O’Brien is a teacher, visual artist and writer. Although she was born and educated in Sydney, she has family links to rural New South Wales by way of her father and her maternal grandmother.
Together with her husband and son, she divides her time between the city and a country cottage, overlooking a creek frequented by platypuses. It is her dream to own a small herd of alpacas.
She has authored several non-fiction books, contributed articles to a variety of magazines and written short stories.
To celebrate the release of Deborah O’Brien’s latest novel The Trivia Man, Random House Australia has offered a paperback copy for giveaway:
- Australian mailing addresses only
- entries close midnight 27 June 2015
- extra entries for spreading the word via Twitter [+2] and Facebook/Google+/Webpage [+4]
- extra entries for registered participants of the Aussie Author Challenge 2015 [+1 for challenge commitment and +1 for each review link submitted to date as part of the challenge] – there’s still plenty of time to sign-up!
- the winner will be randomly selected and must respond to my email requesting their mailing address within 5 days otherwise their prize will be forfeited and another winner selected
This giveaway and my upcoming review of The Trivia Man that will be published on 20 June 2015 is part of a blog tour organised by Random House Australia.
SORRY, ENTRIES CLOSED – Winner announced HERE