I’m signing up to Shelleyrae’s Eclectic Reader Challenge 2014, and going to try and use it as a way of giving some of the books on my TBR pile or library wishlist the attention they deserve.
The challenge is:
Select, read and review a book from each genre listed below during the year for a total of 12 books. A book may be in print, electronic or audio format.
So, while I may not find a title on my book shelf or library wishlist that fits all 12 categories, e.g. ‘Published in 2014′, I’ll try my best.
Here’s what I’m currently thinking…
- Award Winning – Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (bookshelf)
- True Crime (Non Fiction) – Love and Terror on the Howling Plains of Nowhere by Poe Ballantine (bookshelf)
- Romantic Comedy – Wise Follies by Grace Wynne-Jones (bookshelf)
- Alternate History Fiction – The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
- Graphic Novel – The Undertaking of Lily Chen by Danica Novgodoroff (bookshelf)
- Cosy Mystery Fiction – The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #3)
- Gothic Fiction – The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco (bookshelf) — is this gothic?
- War/Military Fiction – Fly Away Peter by David Malouf
- Anthology - The Tent by Margaret Atwood (library wishlist)
- Medical Thriller Fiction – Malicious Intent by Kathryn Fox (library wishlist)
- Travel (Non Fiction) – Mr Snack and the Lady Water (Travel tales from my lost years) by Brendan Shanahan (library wishlist)
- Published in 2014
Will check back in here and update my reading list and add links to my reviews as they are published.
I’m also signing up to the 2014 Australian Women Writers Challenge at the Miles level (6 books).
While the titles I read for this challenge will be a subset of my more diverse reading list for my 2014 Aussie Author Challenge, I will support any initiative that promotes Australian talent.
Some of the Australian women writers I’m hoping to include in my reading list this year are:
Kathryn Fox, Sulari Gentill, Hannah Kent, Lucy Neave, Elizabeth Jolley, Cate Kennedy