Vale actually has two distinct meanings and pronounciations. Firstly, how it is used in this novel:
- As an exclamation, it means farewell
- As a noun, it is a written or spoken farewell
- It is actually Latin, literally meaning ‘be well, be strong!’, as in the related word ‘valedictorian’ which we would all be familiar with
BUT, it can also be used as follows:
VALE [veyl] is a noun.
- a literary word for valley
- from Old French val, and from Latin vallis (valley)
If you would like to join in my World of Words each Thursday, grab the badge and leave the direct link to your post in a comment below!